If Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, historians must then reconsider every controversial historical figure who was either labeled or not labeled a terrorist.
According to NBC News, up until 5 years ago when Mandela was 90 years old, the U.S. Government officially considered Nelson Mandela a terrorist.
Both former President Ronald Reagan and Vice President Dick Cheney (among other prominent U.S. officials) said as much publicly.
To me, this is absolutely appalling. It’s a total disregard of the facts that were freely available at the time of this pronouncement.
If Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, is it fair to ask:
- Was Christopher Columbus a terrorist?
- Was King George III of the United Kingdom a terrorist?
- Was George Washington a terrorist?
- Was King Leopold II of Belgium a terrorist?
- Was Abraham Lincoln a terrorist?
- Was Lyndon Johnson a terrorist?
- Was George Bush a terrorist?
If Nelson Mandela was considered a terrorist by the U.S. Government up until 2008, then I think it’s fair to say that all terrorist labels that have been slapped on controversial figures throughout history have no credibility.
What do you think?